Mila dungarees (Tilly and the Buttons pattern)

I purchased the digital pattern [link here], printed out the 30 pages of letter-sized paper, and commenced taping them all together in a big rectangle. Then I cut out the fully-assembled pattern pieces.

(Image from Tilly and the Buttons webstore.)

They’ve put out an add-on pattern for front pockets. I made the pockets, too. Free pocket download and instructions here: https://www.tillyandthebuttons.com/2018/06/mila-dungarees-pocket.html

How to add hip pockets to your Mila dungarees! - Tilly and the Buttons
(Image from Tilly and the Buttons webstore.)

The pattern instructions recommend using a fabric containing spandex. I did not follow the recommendation, and instead used some vintage thick brown corduroy that I inherited from my grandma’s stash. With no stretch to the fabric, I opted to make loose (baggy) overalls. They feel great and are fun to wear. I can do chores and run errands in them because they aren’t restrictive. I could take 3 inches out of the waist and hips, and they would fit more like the picture on the pattern, but that would compromise stretch and versatility. I’m happy with my baggy version, and am glad to have used some of my heirloom fabric.

More thoughts and recommendations:

No Front Pockets: I tried to put on the optional front pockets. Then I took them off, remade them and tried again. Then I gave up. I couldn’t get them to look right on the corduroy. I learned much, and should be able to get the pockets to look right on my next make.

Bulky facings: I wish I would have used a lightweight fabric for the inside facings and plackets. I used the corduroy, and it’s quite bulky. The bulk makes the waistband and side button plackets unnecessarily thick and stiff. It makes the overalls look wider at the waist and hips than if I’d used something lightweight on the inside, that would have enabled some drape in the fabric.

‘Overall’ Recommendation: Highly recommend. The pattern was accurate and easy to make, and the instructions were very well done.


Future post preview: I’m attempting to make homemade sauerkraut for the first time.

6 thoughts on “Mila dungarees (Tilly and the Buttons pattern)

  1. Your overalls look very cute and corduroy is such a classic. Although, not lately, I’ve sewn quite a few pieces out of it. But, I’m also a grandma, so there you go! Thank you for the sauerkraut in a Mason jar. I love sauerkraut and can’t wait to try this. Thank you for sharing your sewing journey.

    Liked by 1 person

  2. Very cute overalls, which I always thought look best on the looser side. Good call in making them baggier than the pattern called for.

    Liked by 1 person

  3. Sorry I missed this. I’m lost in this stuff but I have always wanted some white painter overalls…they were popular in the 80s I believe.

    Eddie Fisher has a swing built in with that song.

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s