I wanted to make a top with print sleeves and a solid colored torso. This cotton upholstery fabric in my stash seemed right for the torso. It was salvaged from sofa cushion covers I’d made years ago. There were worn spots on the fabric, but there were enough good areas to carve out the body of a blouse from it.
This Paris print cotton was something I simply liked when I saw it in the store, so I bought 1/2 yard for the sleeves. My plan was to make a muslin shell to test the pattern, and if things turned out well, it would be a wearable muslin.
Voila! A wearable muslin!
Where I deviated from the pattern:
- Adjusted the sleeve length to a 3/4 sleeve.
- Used a stand up/rolled collar instead of the pattern options.
- Added a few gathers to the top of the sleeve rather than the pleat in the pattern.
- The pattern suggests using lightweight drapey fabrics, but I used the heavy cotton, and I like the result.
For bicycling and night activities, I incorporated some reflective elements. I used reflective fabric for ‘hem tape’ on the sleeves. At night, the hem can be flipped out for visibility. There’s also a reflective covered button for the back closure.
A few more comments on the Orla pattern: (I’ll definitely make more ‘Orlas’.)
- The pattern size measurements ran true-to-large. I’m so used to pattern measurements not working out, that I decided to make a larger size than the pattern info indicated. Well, the pattern measurements were right on this time. On the first fitting, the blouse was way too roomy. I ended up taking it in two whole sizes, and could have gone down a third size.
- The front curved darts are a pretty feature, and were easy to sew. But they became a challenge when I had to downsize the garment.
(Ghastly lighting in this new selfie spot! Yikes!)
This picture was my inspiration. I saw it in a Liberty of London ad last year. Obviously, I didn’t stick close to the image. I still want to make a top similar to this. Maybe for Spring.